Monday 18 May 2015

PPP


My ultimate decision

So I have built various sets and created 3D environments and explored the advantages and disadvantages about the aesthetics of the different methods including lighting and practicality. but I think it was after my Applied Animation where I had to create two sets for two different scenes for my latest animation


the sets in this animation I enjoyed very much in creating. I previously started this blog with the question, what should I save money for, a fast computer or a camera. and this module decided for me, the camera is the one to go for due to my absolute love for the creation of sets and models, although I enjoyed the Maya side of it I still prefer the look of physical models and sets for there aesthetic appeal to me but also the way they do cling onto reality whilst still becoming quite abstract. where as 3D can open the doors for things far beyond reality, stop motion still uses real world materials and techniques to keep the illusion of reality, whereas there is always that feeling in the back of your head that you are watching a 3D animation. here are some of the things that I created to include in my research for my learning path.


Here is me exploring the ability to create an island after playing the game stranded deep


Obviously mine is just using a shader map so there is no depth to the ocean but I wanted to see wether Maya was the right method to use, and I thought that maya would be the best due to the way you can defy the laws of practicality with 3D software, but after seeing the fantastic work of Matthew Albanese


I find it incredible the realism of this work and its made me realise that I was wrong about physical sets being unable to defy the laws of practicality as 3D software does, maybe not to such a scale as what Maya can do, I think these images have opened my mind to the breadth of things you can do with physical sets


There are different methods of achieving these images, by filming different segments and compositing them, this also made me realise that the amazing realism that is possible with physical sets may only be possible with post effects, this came apparent when I included the fire into my animation above, using a green screen to achieve this.












So by far my favourite method is the physical sets, but its become clear that I will need to learn more about post production to make them more convincing. this will be my pursuit for my presentation. I will try and have fun with this, but I will try to include myself into my island using a blue screen for my windmill and a green screen for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment