Thursday 14 May 2015

Applied Animation


The fireplace!

The fireplace was quite tricky to sort out due to the way I was figuring out how to create the fire. here is the construction using wood and grout to create the finish.


 I created an  enclosure to house a light source, but after trying it out the effect was very ugly to look at and I wouldn't be able to create a convincing fire with it, so I took a page out of Lieka's book after seeing Mark Shapiro in BAF, in one of their scenes there is a huge mechanical beast that houses a fire in the centre


The way they accomplished this was to place an Ipad mini in the casing and displayed an app that displayed a fire that they could control frame by frame, as well as some post effects. so I tried to do the same but couldn't find a frame by frame app, I then just got a video on my phone of a fire and placed it behind the fire place, it looked fantastic! but obviously without the controls of the frames it wouldn't look right, so then I had a brain wave, I could just use a green screen and place the video using a keylight! the result was great!

Here is the green screen:


And here is the final result after post


It was quite a process of trial and error as I wasnt familiar to the post production side of things, so in retrospect I should have looked further into the techniques used in major films and got a better way of getting the effect I was looking for, but I did still learn from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment