Monday 19 January 2015

benafits of 3d animation.


From experience in my personal project, there is a benefit of 3D that springs to mind after working out what method to use to animate an aspect of my project.

The project

My personal  project consists of an island in the middle of the ocean that is inhabited by one man who lives in a windmill all of which (apart from the ocean) I have modelled physically.
the challenge that I crossed was how to recreate the ocean.
my initial idea was to use a technique of modelling an ocean, but this would require hundreds of panals of ocean to use through stop motion animation to produce the effect of the ocean around the island.

But with the ever increasing technology of 3D animation, I soon realised that 3D has one potential that I couldn't create myself...


Infinity!

A problem that I would face would be a limited horizon if I went down the road of modelling the ocean, I would have to frame the shot so that the horizon would look like it was going on forever. which I can easily create using Maya and its built in ocean shader mixed in with some bifrost at closer parts.

Here is an example of what I mean:


As you can see the ocean goes on forever, until it reaches the horizon, so with a bit of learning I will be able to get a convincing ocean around my island without having to worry about framing to keep a modelled ocean from looking fake.





No comments:

Post a Comment